Matthew C. Smith, PT, DPT, OCS, Cert. MDT
“My first experience in PT was when I injured my right knee while running in high school. I worked with my coach to try to alter my workouts but failed to make any progress. I went to a PT who diagnosed me as having Iliotibial Band Friction Syndrome – a condition where a tendon rubs along the outside of the knee due to a number of musculoskeletal imbalances. At my first visit she started me on a program of stretching and strength training. I saw meaningful improvement in the first few days and was back to training with my team after 1 week. With a little more work I was back to unrestricted competition and nearly pain free in 2 weeks. My PT got me from being barely able to work the gas and brake pedal of my car to running at an elite level with only a few simple exercises. My only regret is that I didn’t get help sooner.”
My Education and Expertise…..
- University at Buffalo – B.S. in Physical Therapy
- Daemen College – Doctorate in Physical Therapy
- American Physical Therapy Association – Board Certified Orthopedic Specialist
- McKenzie Institute, USA – Certified in Mechanical Diagnosis and Treatment of Disorders Involving the Spine and Extremities
- Comprehensive Post Graduate Training in Vestibular and Balance Rehabilitation
- Guest Lecturer on Orthopedics and Vestibular Rehabilitation
- Spinal Manipulation Institute – Completing training in Thrust Manipulation of the Spine
- Clinical Instructor for University at Buffalo and Daemen College
- Owner, Buffalo Back & Neck Physical Therapy P.C.
My Interests and Hobbies…..
“I am active all year round. In the winters I love skiing with my wife, kids, and our friends. When there is no longer any snow on the ground you can often find me around the baseball and softball diamonds of WNY coaching or watching my son and daughter. Chances are that if you can’t find me outside I am probably in my basement or working on my next home improvement project. I am also a huge Bills fan.”
Treating the Northtowns of Western New York
No matter if you live just north of us in Niagara Falls, Wheatfield, Grand Island or North Tonawanda or if you call Amherst, Cheektowaga, Clarence, Kenmore, or Buffalo home. We are conveniently located in Tonawanda and look forward to finding out how we can help with all of types of orthopedic injuries as well as vertigo and dizziness.